Saturday, November 1, 2008

Halloween and Pumpkin Carving!

Those who know me, know that I'm not a big fan of Halloween. From the looks of these pictures you'd never know it though. Travis loved carving pumpkins and this year we went and picked out the "perfect" one along with a fancy pumpkin carving kit (you know, the kind with all the patterns and little tools).
Well, then Travis got called to China and the pumpkin was left uncarved on our balcony.

So for Family Home Evening the Monday after Travis left, Pepper (the baby) and I got ambitious and carved a "cool pumpkin" like daddy wanted. If it were left up to me I probably would have cut out some triangles for eyes and a large O for the mouth. Simple and easy. But, in honor of dad, we tried our hand at intricate pattern pumpkin carving (say that 5x fast). Here's a look at our attempt.

The pre-carved pumpkin!



The carved pumpkin. It's much harder than it looks, really - it took me almost 2 hours!

However, it did look pretty cool all lit up! Trav, I hope you're proud! We thought of you the whole time!

In honor of Travis, we also watched "The Burbs." Great Halloween movie (and not too scary to watch by myself).

Me (and Pepper) after 2 1/2 hours of sitting on the floor carving a pumpkin. I was pretty proud of our effort (though I was sore and quite tired).

3 comments:

Melanie and Jake said...

Your pumpkin is so cool!! Good job. We didn't even get a pumpkin this year.

Sage said...

Hey - neat pumpkin. I love halloween. Next year you're going to have to venture out and do some walnut picking -it's too fun!
"pepper" is that the baby name you've picked? It's so unconventional - I LOVE IT! Unless of course you want to name him Sage, I'm a fan.

Tasha said...

LOVE the pumpkin! Sherise, are you really naming your son "Pepper"!?